Celebrating Global Pulse Day on January 18th 2017
Why should pulses be an essential part of our diets?
Pulses are packed with protein and fiber along with some major macro and micronutrients like iron, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, selenium and folate.
Pulses have anticarcinogenic agents. Recent research has shown that the phytochemicals present in pulses give them anti-oxidizing properties that fight cancer.
Pulses are ideal for people living with type 2 diabetes. High in fiber and low in glycemic index, they are ideal for and people with type 2 diabetes and can help those who want to lose weight (2). You can read more about the evidence of pulses for blood sugar in Michelle’s previous post here.
Pulses help in management of risk factors of metabolic syndrome, based on large waist circumference, high triglyceride levels, low HDL cholesterol, high blood pressure and high fasting blood glucose (1).
Pulses are quite versatile to use in every meal. Read on for ways to incorporate more pulses into your meals:
- They can be added to muffins, quiches, omelets and porridge for breakfast.
- For lunch, they make a great side dish on their own or can be made into delicious salads.
- Lentil soups are also a good option for lunches and dinners.
- Pulses can also be used to make spreads and dips and the savor with raw vegetables for a healthy snack.
Pulse Canada is a great resource to explore some fun and delicious ideas to add more to your diet.
Let’s celebrate Global Pulse Day with our families and friends and make it fun with creative eating ideas!
- Mollard, R.C., Luhovyy, B.L., Panahi, S., Nunez, M., Hanley, A. and Anderson, G.H. (2012) ‘Regular consumption of pulses for 8 weeks reduces metabolic syndrome risk factors in overweight and obese adults’, British Journal of Nutrition, 108(S1), pp. S111–S122. doi: 10.1017/S0007114512000712.
- Nutritional and health benefits of pulses. (2014). Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 39(11), 1197-1204
Welcome, I'm Michelle! I'm a TV and digital media registered dietitian and Asian cuisine content creator based out of Hamilton, ON Canada!
JOIN THE NEWSLETTER
Sign up for my newsletter here and receive FREE Guide “10 High Protein, High Fibre Recipes to Help Fuel Your Day”