How to Reuse Produce: Quick and Easy Strawberry Sauce
In April I talked about reducing food waste on Global Morning Show in Toronto for Earth Day. One of my fav ways to avoid food waste is to re-purpose fruits and vegetables by cooking them. Sometimes your produce becomes slightly bruised and less-than-fresh, no longer good for eating raw.
In that segment, I demonstrated how to make an simple and quick strawberry sauce on TV.
Click image to read the blog and tips!
You Can Use Strawberry Sauce On:
- Oatmeal. It goes very well with overnight oats, or as an oatmeal topper. Add some Greek yogurt and hemp seeds for protein.
- Chia seed pudding. Add milk or a non-dairy milk of your choice to chia seeds. Put in the fridge overnight and top with strawberry sauce in the morning!
- Ice cream or yogurt. An amazing natural sweetener, with no artificial sweeteners.
- Pancakes or waffles. I tried this on waffles with whipped cream and it was DELICIOUS! Sometimes you need a change from the traditional maple syrup.
- On top of toast. Instead of jam, this one is just as sweet, except with vitamin C, potassium and fibre!
So, don’t throw away your strawberries if they are slightly bruised! I hate food waste, and this is a great way to reuse these sweet and delicious fruits. I have more tips on avoiding food waste here.
RECIPE: Strawberry Sauce for Strawberry Month
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
2 cups hulled and chopped fresh strawberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water together and set aside. This will help thicken the sauce, and also prevent cornstarch lumps from forming in your sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, combine strawberries, sugar, 1/3 cup water, lemon juice, and cornstarch/water mixture. Stir and bring to a simmer. Keep at a simmer, adjusting temperature when needed.
- Stir often until thick and syrupy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, pour over pancakes, waffles, or ice cream, and enjoy!
Welcome, I'm Michelle! I'm a TV and digital media registered dietitian and Asian cuisine content creator based out of Hamilton, ON Canada!
JOIN THE NEWSLETTER
Sign up for my newsletter here and receive FREE Guide “10 High Protein, High Fibre Recipes to Help Fuel Your Day”