The following is a paid partnership with USA Pears. All opinions are my own and are genuine.
Are you looking for a new, healthy and delicious recipe idea?
During the pandemic, you’re probably cooking more. And maybe in search of new recipes. I’ve developed a delicious stir fry recipe that’s easy and quick to make for a weeknight meal!
About Stir Frying
What makes stir frying a healthy way to cook is using a small amount of oil in a pan with sloped sides. The quick, high temperature and constant moving of the food makes the outside crisp, brown and locks flavours inside. This cooking technique originated in China. I knew my people were doing something right!
All of these ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store. The sweet pears, hearty kale and plant protein lentils makes this a healthy side to round out dinner time.
Pears: Nutrition and Versatility
For this recipe, you want to use medium-firm pears. Check the neck with gentle pressure. If it yields slightly to gentle pressure, it’s perfect for this recipe. Pears also contain a fruit sugar called fructose, bringing natural sweetness, without having to rely on added sugars. Pears are also one of the top fruit sources of fibre, with 6 grams per medium pear. Most the fibre and antioxidants are also found in the skin, so I’ve included it so you can enjoy the full health benefits. These include nutrients that may support heart, gut, and brain health!
Plant-Based Pear, Lentil and Kale Stir Fry
- 2 tsp oil (divided)
- ½ small white onion diced
- 1 USA Anjou pear (red or green) cored and diced
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups chopped kale, washed, stems removed
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion cook and stir until tender, about 3 mins. Add lentils. Cook and stir for about 2 more mins. Remove contents from pan and set aside on a large plate.
- Add 1 tsp oil to skillet. Add pears.Stir fry pears until tender, about 3 mins. Remove from skillet and add to plate.
- Add apple cider vinegar. Add kale and cook and stir for about 1 min. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and let cook for 3 mins.
- Remove lid and add all contents back to skillet. Stir fry about 1 min.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
For more delicious and nutritious pear recipes, visit USAPears.org.
For more great nutrition & cultural cuisine content, follow me on social media: